Over 150 people attended a debate about gun regulations at the University of Utah last night just hours after a disappointing defeat for gun safety advocates in the US Senate. The debate was sponsored by the John R. Park Debate Society and the Department of Communication.
Better UTAH’s own Maryann Martindale was one of six debate participants. Several of Martindale’s comments were received enthusiastically by the audience throughout the debate. According to Deseret News Reporter McKenzie Romero, Martindale
drew cheers when she called Aposhian’s argument absurd that Supreme Court decisions have set precedence for private citizens to own weapons used by military infantryman.
Other participants included:
- W. Clark Aposhian, Fair Warning
- Sen. Allen M. Christensen (R)
- Jean Hill, Salt Lake Catholic Diocese
- Steve Gunn, Utah Gun Violence Prevention Center
- Mitch Vilos, Utah gun law attorney and author