The Alliance for a Better Utah works to improve the lives of all Utahns by ensuring balance, transparency and accountability in Utah politics, policy, and government.
Whether in public discourse or in the state legislature, reasoned policy emerges from good faith discussions where all points of view are given the opportunity to be heard. We take balance seriously by making sure alternative viewpoints are heard not only in the halls of power, but in the press, the blogosphere and across social media.
Citizens have the right to know what their elected officials are doing. We help keep government transparent and information flowing freely by monitoring compliance with open records laws, improving access to campaign finance information, and creating a direct communication bridge between Utahns and their elected officials.
“Power tends to corrupt,” said Lord Acton. We couldn’t agree more. Whether it is monitoring the inner workings of the executive branch, keeping our eyes on individual legislators, or making sure state boards and committees are listening to their constituents, we hold elected and appointed leaders to the common sense ethical standards shared by the majority of Utahns.
To drive a public narrative that empowers Utah’s electorate and holds public officials accountable.
An ideologically balanced Utah where public officials act with integrity, transparency, and for the common good, and an informed and engaged citizenry seeks progressive change of and through the political process.
- Integrity – Act with integrity, i.e., always to the right thing
- Diversity – Engage with a broad spectrum of people with different backgrounds to obtain a diversity of perspectives and input (including, among others, race, color, ethnicity, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, and economic status).
- Intellectual honesty – Make factual and reason-based decisions.
- Respect – Treat all people (within and outside of the organization) with dignity respect.
- Transparency – Communicate honestly and openly.
- Collaboration – Seek solutions to further progressive ideals through leadership and cooperation with other individuals, groups, and organizations.
- Work Ethic – Work hard, be focused, and do not overlook the details.
- Effectiveness – Plan first, and then take action.