Karen Shepherd Internship for Ethics and Good Government
Better Utah interns are a key part of the Better Utah team. The Policy Intern will be vital to our team as they will become familiar with the redistricting process, play a key role in community outreach, improve writing and leadership skills, and work on election education materials. Interns will have the opportunity to attend redistricting commission and committee meetings, and will work to bring about awareness on both redistricting and electoral policies through blogs and OpEds. Additionally, interns will have the chance to network with community partners by helping facilitate coalition meetings, and reaching out to other groups/organizations across the state to improve election education efforts.
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2021! Our 2021 Policy Internship is a part-time internship (~15 hours/week) that lasts 15 weeks, from September 13 through November 19. The deadline for applications is end of day, Friday, August 20, 2021. Although we accept internship applications on a rolling-basis throughout the year, positions are limited and so we encourage you to apply by the deadline posted. This internship comes with a $1500 stipend.
Internship Opportunities May Include:
- Community outreach helping educate the public on Utah’s redistricting process
- Helping facilitate a policy coalition with community partners
- Attending Utah’s Independent Redistricting Committee’s public meetings
- Training others to use redistricting tools
- Drafting emails, social media posts, and other communications to keep the public informed on what is happening and how they can be involved
- Writing and publishing a blog post and op-ed on policy topics of personal interest
- Redistricting or other policy-related research
- Creating educational content for the Better Utah Institute Voter Guide
- Researching Ranked Choice Voting
- Other projects as assigned
How to Apply
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Writing sample (2-5 pages)
- 2 references
If the submission form does not accept your application for any reason, please send an email to “email@example.com” with the subject line “Policy Internship Application.”
Applicants need to be self-motivated, have an interest in our projects and issues, a willingness to learn new skills and ideas, and a strong desire to make a difference. We are looking for interns with strong writing and editing skills, exceptional critical thinking, and a keen eye for detail and accuracy. Knowledge of the redistricting and electoral processes are a plus.