Karen Shepherd Internship for Ethics and Good Government
Better Utah interns are a key part of the Better Utah team. The Policy Intern will be vital to our team as they will become familiar with the redistricting process, play a key role in community outreach, improve writing and leadership skills, and work on election education materials. Interns will have the opportunity to attend redistricting commission and committee meetings, and will work to bring about awareness on both redistricting and electoral policies through blogs and OpEds. Additionally, interns will have the chance to network with community partners by helping facilitate coalition meetings, and reaching out to other groups/organizations across the state to improve election education efforts.
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2021! Our 2021 Policy Internship is a part-time internship (~15 hours/week) that lasts 15 weeks, from September 13 through November 19. The deadline for applications is end of day, Friday, August 20, 2021. Although we accept internship applications on a rolling-basis throughout the year, positions are limited and so we encourage you to apply by the deadline posted. This internship comes with a $1500 stipend.
Internship Opportunities May Include
- Researching legislative and electoral processes
- Developing educational resources on the legislative and electoral process in Utah, whether from original research or repackaging existing resources into a new format
- Planning and developing the use of educational resources into online, interactive formats
- Writing blog posts, OpEds, and/or other persuasive materials on the importance of civic and community engagement, preferably from personal experience
- Other projects as assigned
How to Apply
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Writing sample (persuasive writing preferred)
- 2 references
If the submission form does not accept your application for any reason, please send an email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject line “Civic Engagement Internship Application.”
Applicants need to be self-motivated, have an interest in our projects and issues, a willingness to learn new skills and ideas, and a strong desire to make a difference. We are looking for interns with strong writing and editing skills, exceptional critical thinking, and a keen eye for detail and accuracy. Knowledge of election and legislative processes is a plus.
How to Apply
Civic Engagement Coordinator