Alliance for a Better Utah (www.betterutah.org) is a Salt Lake City, Utah based nonprofit organization that focuses on multi-issue advocacy and education in traditional and digital media, as well as political accountability.
Formed in 2011, Better Utah has been the leading progressive voice in Utah, changing the narrative on issues including medicaid expansion, public lands protections, transparency and ethics in government, and gun control, among others. Better Utah was instrumental in the resignation of former Utah Attorney General John Swallow, and has held many other public officials accountable for illegal, unethical, or irresponsible actions or positions.
Better Utah is seeking a Development Director dedicated to supporting our mission and work. The Development Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Alliance for a Better Utah’s fundraising, including donor relations, major gifts program, member donor program, annual and special events, annual and program fundraising drives, direct and digital fundraising campaigns, and grant research and applications. The Director works closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives
- Coordinate fundraising special events
- Oversee prospect research
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Alliance for a Better Utah with the community
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Perform other related duties as requested
- Must embrace the mission of Alliance for a Better Utah
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising, membership programs, and grant writing
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability
- 2-5 years of development experience
- A bachelor’s degree
Alliance for a Better Utah offers a competitive salary and benefits program based on relevant experience. The salary for development director ranges from $35,000 – $50,000 dependent on experience.
How to Apply:
Send a resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Development Director. We will consider applications as they arrive and no later than April 30, 2019.
This full-time position will start as soon as possible. Please send all questions regarding this position to Chase Thomas, email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
Alliance for a Better Utah is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.