Alliance for a Better Utah is seeking a Development Director to join our small but mighty team and help support our mission and work by growing the development capacity of the organization.
The Development Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of Alliance for a Better Utah’s fundraising, including donor relations, major gifts program, member donor program, annual and special events, annual and program fundraising drives, direct and digital fundraising campaigns, and grant research and applications. The Director works closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and fundraising consultants in all development and fundraising endeavors.
- Must embrace the mission of Alliance for a Better Utah.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Experience in fundraising techniques, particularly donor prospecting and cultivation.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and volunteers to implement development goals across organization.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” with responsibilities, particularly in initiating donor visits and calls.
- Be organized and goal-oriented in developing short and long-term strategic plans for development, including an focus on self-evaluation and ability to accept and implement constructive feedback.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Ability to allow for a flexible schedule based on the political calendar or scheduled events. While we generally follow a standard 9-5 work schedule, certain times of the year, such as the legislative session or election season, may require daily or weekly hours to fluctuate. As such, we generally follow a relaxed approach to taking time off and adjusting individual schedules, subject to the needs of the organization and responsibilities of individual positions.
- At least 1-3 years of development experience, including direct experience in fundraising techniques, particularly prospecting and cultivation of all levels of donors.
- A bachelor’s degree.
The following are not required, but are a plus:
- Development experience in a political or policy setting, i.e. fundraising for a campaign or a policy-minded nonprofit.
- Communications, graphic design, and/or digital media experience, particularly in political or policy settings.
- Identify and meet with prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them, report on the work of the organization, and make asks to further support the programs and mission of the organization.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising special events, including the annual Moving Forward Breakfast.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Alliance for a Better Utah with the community.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Salary ranges from $35,000 – $50,000 dependent on experience.
Better Utah offers medical benefits, as well as generous paid vacation and sick time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with the subject heading “Development Director Application.” We will consider applications as they arrive and no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
This full-time position will start as soon as possible. Please send all questions regarding this position to Chase Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alliance for a Better Utah is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture and we encourage people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals to apply.
ABOUT ALLIANCE FOR A BETTER UTAH
Alliance for a Better Utah is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit that holds politicians accountable and advocates for progressive policies that make Utah an even better place. Better Utah Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that works to empower Utahns through civic engagement and good governance.