Policy and Advocacy
Karen Shepherd Internship for Ethics and Good Government
Policy and advocacy is central to the mission of Alliance for a Better Utah. Policy interns work with our policy and advocacy team to research a wide variety of issues and develop related strategies and projects. Our interns are given meaningful work that equips them with tangible and marketable skills to prepare them for jobs in government, policy, non-profit, and other fields.
Internship Opportunities May Include:
- Researching policy issues to support our projects
- Writing a variety of materials to support our projects (i.e., blog posts, press releases, research memos, policy papers, etc.)
- Developing communications for our members through email and social media to update them on issues and prompt them to action
- Participating in the strategic planning process for policy projects
- Helping plan and organize both press and public events
- Writing an OpEd for publication in one of Utah’s newspapers
Participating and presenting in staff and board meetings
- Observing government, coalition, and other meetings and events
How to Apply
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Writing sample (3-5 pages)
- Academic reference and a professional reference.
If the submission form does not accept your application for any reason, please send an email to “email@example.com” with the subject line “Policy and Advocacy Internship Application.”
Applicants need to be self-motivated, have an interest in our projects and issues, a willingness to learn new skills and ideas, and a strong desire to make a difference. We are looking for interns with strong writing and editing skills, exceptional critical thinking, and a keen eye for detail and accuracy.