Karen Shepherd Internship for Ethics and Good Government
Better Utah legislative interns have the opportunity to work alongside staff over the course of the Legislative Session. Working with the staff, interns help track legislation, cover legislative meetings, develop written communications, and plan events. Additionally, interns have the chance to network with other advocacy organizations, elected leaders, and other influential Utahns. Those who intern with Better Utah often have their work published on our website, as well as in local newspapers.
Our Winter 2019 Internship runs from January through April. Both full-time and part-time internships are available. Although we accept internship applications on a rolling-basis throughout the year, positions are limited and so we encourage you to apply by the deadline posted. Assistance in receiving academic credit is available when feasible. Stipends are available for those not earning credit.
Winter 2019 internship applications are due Friday, December 7th at 5:00 PM
Internship Opportunities May Include:
– Tracking legislation
– Attending committee hearings and other legislative meetings
– Writing daily and weekly summaries of the legislative session
– Writing emails, social media posts, and other communications to keep the public informed on what is happening and how they can be involved
– Developing a legislative scorecard based on tracked legislation
– Planning a post-legislative session event
How to Apply:
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Writing sample (3-5 pages)
- Academic reference and a professional reference.
If the submission form does not accept your application for any reason, please send an email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject line “Legislative Internship Application.”
Applicants need to be self-motivated, have an interest in our projects and issues, a willingness to learn new skills and ideas, and a strong desire to make a difference. We are looking for interns with strong writing and editing skills, exceptional critical thinking, and a keen eye for detail and accuracy. Knowledge of the legislative process is a plus.