Karen Shepherd Internship for Ethics and Good Government
Better Utah legislative interns are a key part of the Better Utah team over the course of the Legislative Session. Working with the staff, interns help track legislation, attend legislative meetings, develop written communications, and plan events. Additionally, interns have the chance to network with other advocacy organizations, elected leaders, and other influential Utahns. Those who intern with Better Utah often have their work published on our website, as well as in local newspapers.
Our 2021 Legislative Internship is a part-time internship that lasts 10 weeks, from January 11 through March 19. The deadline for applications is Monday, November 16, 2020. Although we accept internship applications on a rolling-basis throughout the year, positions are limited and so we encourage you to apply by the deadline posted. This internship comes with a $1500 stipend.
Internship Opportunities May Include
- Tracking legislation
- Attending committee hearings and other legislative meetings
- Writing daily and weekly summaries of the legislative session
- Writing emails, social media posts, and other communications to keep the public informed on what is happening and how they can be involved
- Writing and publishing a blog post and op-ed on policy topics of personal interest
- Developing the 2021 Better Utah Progress Report based on tracked legislation
- Planning a post-legislative session event
How to Apply
- Cover letter
- Current resume
- Writing sample (2-5 pages)
- 2 references
If the submission form does not accept your application for any reason, please send an email to “email@example.com” with the subject line “Legislative Internship Application.”
Applicants need to be self-motivated, have an interest in our projects and issues, a willingness to learn new skills and ideas, and a strong desire to make a difference. We are looking for interns with strong writing and editing skills, exceptional critical thinking, and a keen eye for detail and accuracy. Knowledge of the legislative process is a plus.